Flat Brat TM was developed in April of 2010 as a joint effort by Benita Koeman and Beth Allen to bring another colorable project to military kids to help them through deployments. Beth is a military supporter and the creator of Troops In Touch interactive postcards and Benita is a military wife, founder of Operation
They developed Flat Brat TM to be gender and race neutral, and specific to
military children (aka military brats), something that would help bridge the
gap between the deployed parent and military child. They thought that the
little military brat Beth had designed for Brat Town Bugle was a perfect
fit. So Flat Brat TM, get ready for an adventure!
How it works:
- Print out Flat Brat (download PDF file) or save and print the image below (right-click on the image).
- Have your child(ren) color Flat Brat.
- Optional: Print on card stock paper, write on the back, laminate or apply contact paper. Consider adding a popsicle stick on the back for windy day pictures.
- Put Flat Brat in an envelope and sent him/her on an adventure. Will Flat Brat visit a deployed parent? Or relatives who live far away? Maybe Flat Brat will visit a lonely Soldier who doesn't receive a lot of mail.
- Be sure that Flat Brat's host takes pictures of his/her adventuresome trip! Where does Flat Brat sleep? Where does he/she eat? Did you share your ice cream with Flat Brat? Does Flat Brat travel in your pocket?
- Keep a journal of Flat Brat's adventures.
- Ask Flat Brat to send a post card or other keepsakes of his/her travels.
- Be sure to post photos of Flat Brat's adventure on our Facebook page!
Operation We Are Here lists many more resources for military children and teens. Learn more...
Resources for supporters of military and veteran families
- Practical insights in caring for
Military and veteran family resources
Operation We Are Here
Copyright 2008 - 2017 Benita Koeman, Operation We Are Here. All rights reserved.
Operation We Are Here is a HUB of RESOURCES for the military community and military supporters.
Military support is not a concept to embrace; military support is sacrificial action. Visit our military support TOOLKIT.